Friday, May 29, 2009

I'm not stupid

Last night at work an older woman asked to speak to the pharmacist. She was concerned that using her inhaler was causing her blood pressure to increase. The pharmacist started asking her questions.

Pharmacist: "How are you using your inhaler?"

Woman: *Annoyed tone*
"Like I am supposed to."

Pharmacist: "Ok, I get that, but could you explain to me what you do when you use it?"

Woman: *More annoyed*
"I use it like my doctor tells me to! I think I am getting too much medication when I inhale."

Pharmacist: "Alright. How many times do you click the medication release button?"

Woman: *Raising her voice*
"I click it once and breathe in twice. I must be getting twice the medication. Something is wrong with this thing."

Pharmacist: "Ma'am, if you only click the button once, it doesn't matter how many times you breathe in, you are still only getting one dose. Are you sure you aren't clicking the release button twice?"

Woman: *Almost yelling*
"I'm not stupid!!!!!"
*Storms off*

So.... Have you ever seen the seemingly idiotic warnings on products? The warnings that say things like "Please don't drink the shampoo" are there for a reason... BECAUSE SOMEONE DRANK THE SHAMPOO! When someone comes to us in the pharmacy, we ask basic questions and also questions that may seem odd. No, I don't think you are stupid, but I have seen and heard a lot of odd situations. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if you told me that you thought that you were supposed to stick the ibuprofen tablet in your ear when you had an earache.

So give me a break and bear with me when you come to me for help. I didn't seek you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment