Monday, May 18, 2009

Just a little louder

Sometimes I find it astounding that in just over a month, someone is going to hand me a doctorate degree.

Case in point: A family approaches me at the pharmacy yesterday holding two boxes. They don't speak any English and anything that I learned in my medical Spanish class has now gone out the window. I assumed they were wondering which box of vitamins would be the best for the woman they were pointing at. There was actually no difference between the two products and so I took one box in each hand and said, "It's the same thing." The gentleman took the boxes back with a questioning look and pointed at the woman again and asked if it was for her ojos (I actually remembered that meant eyes), and I think something about her bones. I nodded, pointed at the boxes and again said, "They are the same thing." He holds up the boxes again as if to ask "Which one?" My response was to practically yell, "SAME!!!" at this poor family - at which point I realized that we just had a language barrier, the people were not deaf, and talking louder would not help anything.

I really hope this degree I get comes with a English to Spanish dictionary.... and some common sense.

1 comment:

  1. I have forgotten everything from that class too (and every class we ever took). I am still in shock. This time next month, we'll be hooded. WEIRD.

    ReplyDelete