Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fancy coats

"Wow, look at all of those people in their fancy white coats."

That's what I used to think when I saw the pharmacists and doctors around the hospital.

Then I became one of those people.

At first I felt like a stud. In putting on my white coat, there was an added pep to my step and the world was mine for the taking. I carried papers that looked important and a brand spankin' new green gel pen.

As time passed, my white coat fantasy world started crumbling. It was only a matter of time. I'm the girl who can't walk and chew gum at the same time and now I was supposed to maintain this level of super confidence at all times. Something bad/embarrassing was bound to happen.

Yesterday I strolled into work saying hello to the Saturday morning crew while wearing the magical coat that was supposed to protect me from being a moron. It wasn't until after I had been at work for 20 minutes that I realized my fly was open. Wide open. It wasn't remotely conceivable that you could ignore it if you were paying the least bit of attention. *Sigh*

It's hard to convince a patient that you are truly capable of being in charge of their medication when you can't remember to zip up your pants.

Maybe Operation Stretchy Pants isn't such a bad idea after all. At least I wouldn't have to worry about zippers...

2 comments:

  1. Bri, When you are a doctor, sometimes you wear stretchy pants. It's for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, Heather, now I have to go watch Nacho Libre.

    ReplyDelete