Saturday, June 27, 2009

What do you call a guy with two black eyes?

I just finished my first week as a resident at the VA. The first two days were long, drawn out days of orientation. Wednesday we (me and two other residents) actually started our work in the pharmacy.

I felt like a kid on Christmas when my boss handed me my crisp, long, white jacket with "PharmD" embroidered on it.

We also got pagers. Am I important to have a pager? Apparently someone thinks so. I promise I will try to hide my surprise and/or fear the first time it goes off.

Last but not least, we have an office... with a phone extension... you know, so people can get in touch with me if they need to. Eeeeek!

My pharmacy orientation started with learning how to process new admissions to the hospital. My job was to go over the patient's old meds, compare them with their new hospital meds, and make sure everything matched up. This includes a patient interview. I took a deep breath and took the stairs to the 3rd floor to talk to a patient. I was extremely nervous.

I walk in to the room and ask patient X if he was indeed patient X. He nods and beckons me to come closer to his bedside. I scoot closer. He motions me to come even closer. I am awaiting a question I can't answer or some fantastic revelation.

Patient X: "Do you know what you tell a guy with two black eyes?"

Me: "No, sir."

Patient X: "Nothing. He's already been told twice."

I think I am going to like this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment