Friday, June 12, 2009

Bittersweet

Today marked my last day of clinical rotations.

5 1/2 years ago I began my quest to be a pharmacist. I interviewed at a local chain pharmacy and they hired me. (Why, I'm not quite sure - I had pink eye and looked really cool.)

They saw all of my ups and downs - When I initially applied to pharmacy schools I got rejection letters. They urged me to keep trying and I was as determined as ever. This time, I wasn't going to take no for an answer - I applied to 7 schools. The rejection letters started coming again, but they supported me and told me the right place would come along. Sure enough I was eventually accepted. After calling my parents, I called work. They could barely understand me through my excited sobs. They wished me luck and welcomed me back with open arms every holiday break.

Today I took off my original lab coat for the last time as a student. I guess it was supposed to feel like a giant weight had been lifted, but it was a little bittersweet. My co-workers had a party day complete with amazing coffee cake and pizza. At the close of the day they gifted me with some dishes so I didn't have to eat off of paper plates once I got to Lexington. I gave hugs all around and when I got to the last one I burst into tears. It's not like I will never see them again, but I closed a chapter of my life. And they were there to see all of it.

To my co-workers (you know who you are): Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment