Thursday, June 25, 2009

Destination Kentucky

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” - Martin Buber

My journey has been a long one.

It began in Nebraska where my parents never thought I would leave my undergraduate college. I did.... 6 years later.

Shortly after I graduated I got the phone call that I had been waiting on for 2 years. "Are you still interested in our program? We have a spot for you." That southern voice on the other end of the line filled me with joy. I had gotten accepted to pharmacy school. Panic set in when I realized I was going to be moving ten days later to an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people. With the support of my parents and friends back home I packed my tiny car full of clothes and I left.

I was goal driven when I arrived in Savannah. I wasn't concerned about finding friends or the love of my life - I wanted to get my degree and get back home to what I knew. Then I met Maria, Heather, Amanda, and Chasity. There was also a gentleman who caught my eye. Over the course of 3 years I endured stress like I had never known. I also felt support like I had never known. The network of my parents, my closest friends back home (Amina, Anna, Erica, Andrea....), my new Savannah family, and a muddle or two helped me make it through every day.

Graduation almost seemed to sneak up on me this time around. Was I headed home? Nope. Next up: Kentucky. Yes, Kentucky. Never in a million years would I have ever suggested to anyone that I would end up anywhere but Omaha. Once again, my support system kept me going, specifically my parents. I couldn't have done any of this without them. They donated so much time, energy, and funding to get me to this point.

So now I sit in Lexington, KY with the guy who keeps me sane and a cat who likes to slam cupboards open and closed. I have a fantastic new job as a resident and I am looking forward to discovering what the next few years have to throw at me.

Bring it on world, I am ready for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment