Monday, November 16, 2009

Hibernation

I figured out what happens to all of the bugs outside when it gets colder: They come into my apartment.

What should have tipped me off to the coming infestation were the wolf spiders that showed up a few weeks back. Need a reminder? Click here. *Shudder* If something as big as those things could creep into my house, how did I convince myself that nothing else would?

My hopes for a bug-free household were destroyed this past 5 days. It was an insect plague. Each day brought a whole new wave of creatures into my home.

Day 1: Horseflies
I wish I could say I had super skills and snatched them from midair with chopsticks, but in fact it was a whole lot easier than that. They showed up seeming intoxicated. I could just walk over to them and pick them up. No resistance. My apartment must have fly roofies? Weird.

Day 2: Ladybugs
I found the first one and it made me smile. They are a kind of cute. One kind of insect that doesn't send me screaming through the hallways. Then I found the second, third, fifth, twentieth... What tipped me over the edge was when I pulled back a curtain to let some natural light inside and one flew out and hit me in the face. I screamed loudly. Someone needs to teach that ladybug some manners.

Day 3: Millipedes
I found three of these lovelies crawling through my carpet with the help of super kitty. Sick.

Day 4: House cricket
This one was drugged as well. Just laying in the middle of my kitchen hanging out. Waiting for a friend, perhaps?

Day 5: Hornet
Ok, so this one didn't get inside of my apartment, but it wanted to. It followed me from my garage and up the stairs while I swung my arms around and screamed. I ran back down the stairs to the open air and shooed it away. My house was already at full capacity. If that hornet came in, a fire marshall would have shown up on my doorstep slapping me with a fine for letting this party get out of control.

Knock on wood, but I believe the trails of critters have stopped trying to make my home their winter bungalow. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment