Sunday, November 1, 2009

Cantankerous

Today, I paused in a patient's doorway after noticing the curtain around his bed was partially closed. Generally this closed curtain indicates there is something going on behind it that I don't need/want to see. After a moment more, I realized the patient was trying to change into his street clothes, and it wasn't as easy as he anticipated. His legs were wrapped to help with swelling and the pants which fit perfectly on the way into the hospital now were extra snug around the legs and difficult to get into. A woman, also behind the curtain, was attempting to assist the gentleman and was met with some resistance.

Man: "Just take the bandages off."

Woman: "No, dear. The doctor told you to wear them and you will wear them."

Man: "I will do whatever I damn well please."

Woman: *Laughing* "You will wear these bandages. Now where is your shirt?"

Man: "Underneath that pile of s*** over there."

At that point I must have crinkled the bag of prescriptions and alerted the couple to my presence.

Man: "Come on in, join the party. I can't get my damn shoe on because of these bandages."

His wife smiled.

Woman: "You married, dear?"

Me: "No, ma'am."

Woman: Chuckling and patting her husband's shoulder, "Well, this is what you have to look forward to someday. He's a cantankerous man."

We all laughed and I proceeded to give my discharge instructions so they could get back to their shoe situation.

Me: "You listen to your wife, ok? She seems to take real good care of you."

Man: *Winks* "I suppose she does."

They shared a look that can only be shared between two people who have lived long and loved hard. She knelt down to help him with his shoe. It was clear that without question, she would take care of that "cantankerous man" and he would gladly let her.

2 comments: