Thursday, February 11, 2010

The engagement story

December 25, 2009: Christmas paper strewn across the living room, I thought all of the gift-giving was done for the day. Adam disappeared upstairs and brought back down with him a several pairs of Christmas socks and underneath those was a stack of ring pamphlets. He asked me if I would help give him some ideas for a certain sparkly purchase he was looking to make. I was ecstatic. Not long after that we went shopping together and we found a ring I loved.

Then I waited.

I was looking forward to January 22nd. We have erratic schedules that don't allow us much time off together and it was the first day off that we were going to have off together since Thanksgiving. Clearly (in my head) it was the perfect opportunity to pop the question. I was ready - hair straightened, makeup on, cute outfit. The weekend came and went. No proposal. It was quite funny, really; how "ready" I was for something that was never specifically slated to occur over that weekend.

Fast forward to the weekend of February 6th. From beginning to end Saturday was the perfect day starting with couples massages and ending with a lovely dinner, Wii boxing, and watching Ultimate Fighting. (Yes, I actually enjoy Ultimate Fighting.) I could not have asked for a better day, but still no proposal.

Sunday morning started off like many other Sunday mornings have begun by making breakfast together. We made a big hash brown and eggs meal and then sat in the living room to catch up on our DVRed shows.

After we ate, we were finishing up How I Met Your Mother and he asked, "How was breakfast?"

"Good," I replied.

"You wanna do this again some time?" he asked.

"Sure, see you in two weeks," I laughed.

The next thing I knew, he was on his knee with the ring asking, "How about for the rest of our lives?"


I never thought I would be the type to cry when I was proposed to. Yeah, I was so very wrong about that assumption. Adam says I turned shades of red he had never seen before as I just sobbed and nodded.

When I imagined the proposal in my head, it did not involve pajamas, messy hair, and no makeup. Turns out, I wouldn't have it any other way. It was absolutely perfect.

1 comment:

  1. AHHH! I love this story. He did such a great job! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete