Friday, December 25, 2009

Operation Tiny Pants - Update

After months of self sabotage, broken promises, and disappointment upon trying to squeeze into pair of pants that I swear I could fit into last month, I finally had enough of my own BS.

At work I was instructing patients how to eat heart healthy and yet I was eating my way through life without regard for what it was doing to my body and mind. The realization that I had not been doing many of the things I was teaching, made me feel like a complete hypocrite.

So I started practicing what I preached.

In no particular order:
  • I drank water like it was my job
  • I made one plate for dinner and refrained from heading back for seconds (or thirds in some cases)
  • I cursed
  • I bypassed the Italian buffet at lunch and opted for the salad bar (with dressing on the side)
  • I walked to and from my car instead of taking the shuttle - about a ten minute jaunt
  • I cursed while I was walking to and from my car
For a while I wondered what I was doing. Perhaps I could blame the weight gain on my aging metabolism and slink back in to the comfort of my sweatpants.

But then I saw results. At first it was half a pound. Whoop-de-doo-da.

Then it was one pound. Better, but still nothing to write home about.

Then two.

I got overly excited and tried to put on a pair of pants that hadn't seen the light of day in quite a while. It wasn't pretty. I couldn't even pull them all the way up. Bad plan.

So I worked harder. It was frustrating, difficult, and if I saw a small child with a milkshake I may have tried to fight them for it. It got bad.

Today I'd like to report great success. I am 8 lbs down and feel better than I have in a long time. This morning the pants that mocked me for years actually fit.

Now my biggest challenge is complacency. I need to sustain the willpower that for two months has kept me from covering everything with cheese.

Today I will give myself a high five. Tomorrow I start the battle all over again.

Happy holidays!

(And don't forget to keep voting! Y'all have gotten me from 3000th place to 94th in just a few days! THANK YOU!)

No comments:

Post a Comment